Two more streets named after North Brunswick veterans

NORTH BRUNSWICK – The cross roads of Williamson and Huff roads bear a street sign for Daino Way, while the cross roads of Deerbrook Boulevard and Dickens Road are adorned with a sign for Haley Way.

The families of Eugene Daino and Thomas George Haley gathered at their respective destinations on Oct. 10 for street naming ceremonies in honor of the North Brunswick veterans.

Daino was born on July 11, 1926, in New Brunswick.

He began his career in the U.S. Army on Aug. 16, 1944. He fought as a Rifleman 745 in World War II in the Battle of the Southern Philippines. He was honorably discharged on Oct. 31, 1945. He earned the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre Ribbon with one star and the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one star during his service. He was also the recipient of the Bronze Star for his heroic service with the Armed Forces of the United States in combat against the enemy, according to a proclamation read in his honor.

Daino worked as a New Brunswick Police Officer for 19 years, from 1951-70.

He was married to Nancy (Kelly) in 1956 and they have three children – Dawn, Daniel and Anita – and two grandchildren. He passed away on Dec. 3, 1999.

Haley was born on Jan. 18, 1924, in Lakewood.

His service to the U.S. Navy began on Feb. 4, 1941. He served in World War II and was stationed on the USS New York, USS Tillman DD 641, USS Cleveland CL 55 and the USS Philips DD 498. As a Water Tender Petty Officer Second and Third Class, his responsibilities were to manage the fire room and maintain and repair the boiler system aboard Navy ships, according to the proclamation read in his honor.

He was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy NAS (National Academy of Sciences), Post Demobilization Activity, on Jan. 24, 1947.

Haley worked for Public Service for more than 30 years.

He was an active member of the VFW/American Legion in Lakewood for more than 40 years.

He married Patricia Haley on Dec. 18, 1974. They have been married for 43 years and have been residents of North Brunswick for 40 years.